So here I am, about 8 months into my wedding planning. I have to say that I have done pretty well so far. Since last Monday I have 1 year, 2 months, 1 week and 6 days to go before my wedding. Ha ha! I know it seems far, but that's what I was thinking 8 months ago, and look - it's here!! >_<

 Here are the items that I've been able to check off my list so far:

  • Church
  • Reception
  • Photographer
  • Videographer
  • Dress
With that said, I thought I would share a few of the tips and resources that I have found useful thus far. I'll start of with the first thing that you should be crossing off your list ...


the Church!
Why is it the first item that needs to be taken cared of? Well, everything will depend on this decision. Your wedding date will determine everything else about your wedding. Therefore, you need to make sure that it's available. If you don't have a specific church that you have your heart set on, make sure to "shop around" and start visiting other churches. Most churches will have specific requirements for you to get married there. For some of the requirements, check out this post: "To the Altar We Go."

Below are links to a listing of the different Roman Catholic Parishes around the GTA.

Hamilton Diocese
Archdiocese of Toronto

It is even more important to secure your date early if you are wanting a unique date (11/11/11, 12/12/12, etc.). Or if you are wanting to do it on a Saturday. Saturday is a really popular day to get married, but it's also the most expensive day. The Catholic Church doesn't do weddings on Sundays.

Friday weddings seems to be rising in popularity. Here are some of the pros and cons about having it on a Friday:

Pros
  • More affordable (reception, DJ etc.)
  • Gives you an extra two days to spend time with your out-of -town guests
Cons
  • Not all of your guests might make it to the ceremony due to work
  • Friday night rush hour traffic - need I say more?
To Mark and I, the pros outweighed the cons in the end, that's why we decided to go with a Friday date.

One last thing to note about selecting your church is their restrictions on decorations, photo taking etc. Don't assume anything. Each churches have their own set of "extra" rules. It's better to ask and be informed ahead of time.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts